DA unapologetic about Mandela advert - htxt.africa

edited July 2016 in Site discussion

imageDA unapologetic about Mandela advert - htxt.africa

The DA says it is the only party that is realising Nelson Mandela's legacy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• This is a good advert with lots of attention to small details that contribute to the message as a whole. Regarding the ANC being upset about the extract from Nelson Mandela's inaugural speech, as long as the DA obtained the necessary rights to use and edit that content, then there is not much they can do about it. However, they can go back and listen to that speech in its entirety and question whether the government promised by Madiba in this speech is what is currently being provided by the ANC. If that was the case, then they would have no issue with this advert, as they would be assured of retaining their voters based on the service they provide.

I am not affiliated with any political party, as I disagree with a system whereby politicians receive a salary just like any other job (except, from what I can see they seem to receive more for doing less). This leads to corruption of principles, as people do what is necessary to retain their employment, not what is best for their country. Also, many people seek a career in politics, not because they want to make the world a better place, but because of the potential income that can be earned, so their ideals are wrong from the start.
  • This is a good advert with lots of attention to small details that contribute to the message as a whole. Regarding the ANC being upset about the extract from Nelson Mandela's inaugural speech, as long as the DA obtained the necessary rights to use and edit that content, then there is not much they can do about it. However, they can go back and listen to that speech in its entirety and question whether the government promised by Madiba in this speech is what is currently being provided by the ANC. If that was the case, then they would have no issue with this advert, as they would be assured of retaining their voters based on the service they provide. I am not affiliated with any political party, as I disagree with a system whereby politicians receive a salary just like any other job (except, from what I can see they seem to receive more for doing less). This leads to corruption of principles, as people do what is necessary to retain their employment, not what is best for their country. Also, many people seek a career in politics, not because they want to make the world a better place, but because of the potential income that can be earned, so their ideals are wrong from the start.
    Well said!
  • Wayne Williams said:I am not affiliated with any political party, as I disagree with a system whereby politicians receive a salary just like any other job (except, from what I can see they seem to receive more for doing less). This leads to corruption of principles, as people do what is necessary to retain their employment, not what is best for their country.
    I hear what you're saying, but the alternative is even worse. That only people who can afford to go into politics (because they have unearned income) become leaders - then you're into 19th century style rule by the rich.

I believe the UK was one of the first countries to introduce salaries for politicians in the early 20th century as the Labour movement started getting elected representation but the MPs couldn't survive without pay. If you want any chance of MPs coming from a 'normal' background, you have to pay them.