"Urgent" nuclear power? This is how long it takes to build a reactor - htxt.africa

edited November 2015 in Site discussion

image"Urgent" nuclear power? This is how long it takes to build a reactor - htxt.africa

It is going to take more than a couple of years to throw nuclear power into the mix.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The graph shows that 5 years is sufficient time unless there is interference from people who don't like nuclear. They would be coal companies and their minions.
  • I think it's broader than that. I think it shows five years is possible, but unusual. Not all the delays are due to interference from lobbying. There's a lot of other factors (more usually an absence of funding to make up the shortfalls when projects go over budget afaik). I think the point that it's not as simple as Eskom/government are painting it stands either way.
  • Actually, many of the truly long duration units were started when the projected demand growth was about 7% but put in mothballs during the oil embargo recession because the demand growth dropped rapidly. They have been in mothballs, waiting for the demand to make them necessary again. The need for low carbon energy has made them valuable again. So, out of mothballs and on to completion.